Sweet Potato, Celeriac, Parsnip & Potato Gratin
- 60 g melted butter
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup chicken consommé
- 1 medium brown onion peeled & finely sliced
- 1 clove garlic peeled crushed
- 2 tsp lemon thyme leaves
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 150 g sweet potato, peel & thinly sliced
- 150 g celeriac, peeled & thinly sliced
- 150 parsnip, peeled & thinly sliced
- 150 potato, peeled & thinly sliced
- 1 cup fresh sourdough breadcrumbs
- 2 tsp chopped parsley
- 1/3 cup (25g) finely grated Parmesan
- Preheat oven to 190°C (170°C fan-forced).
- Brush a 1 1/2 litre capacity ovenproof dish with 20g butter.
- Place the sour cream, consommé, onion, garlic, thyme, nutmeg, salt & pepper together in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Bring to the boil, cook for 2 minutes & remove from the heat. Cover surface with plastic wrap & leave to stand for 15 minutes.
- For the topping, place the breadcrumbs, remaining butter, parsley & parmesan together in a bowl & mix until well combined. Set aside.
- Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil, blanch the root vegetable slices in batches for 2 minutes each & refresh in cold water. Make sure you keep each root vegetable separate.
- Place a layer of the blanched root vegetables followed by a tablespoon full of the cream mixture. Repeat the process until all the root vegetable slices have been used.
- Pour over remaining cream mixture & sprinkle with the breadcrumb topping.
- Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour, or until the gratin is bubbling & golden.
Three ways with root vegetables:
- For a hearty soup, cook 1 chopped onion, 1 red chilli, 1 teaspoon each of ground cumin & coriander with 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large saucepan until soft. Add 1kg peeled chopped mixed root vegetables (eg. sweet potato, carrots & parsnip), 1/3 cup dried red lentils & 1 1/4 litres vegetable stock. Bring to boil & cook for 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender & lentils are soft. Add a handful of coriander leaves, puree with a stick blender until smooth & season with salt & pepper.
- For roast veggies, toss 2kg peeled & chopped mixed root vegetables (eg. parsnips, carrots, beetroot, sweet potato & celeriac) with 1/3 cup mixed herbs (lemon thyme, rosemary, sage), 4 cloves garlic, salt & pepper, until well coated. Divide between 2 baking trays and roast at 200°C for 45 minutes or until tender & golden.
- For a mash with a difference steam or boil 1kg of mixed root vegetables (eg. potato, celeriac, parsnips & swede) until tender. Drain well, then mash until smooth. Add 40g butter, 1/4 cup milk & season well with salt & pepper, stirring until well combined.